top of page

Football Fever

On Friday 31st March football fever took over Year 2. The day had come for the Girls and Boys football teams to compete in the KS1 tournament at Len Forge. For the Girls' team it was to be their first chance to play a competitive game, which they had been waiting a long time for. The Boys were back in action after qualifying for the finals. As at most events so far the weather was changeable with a lot of wind and rain during the day, but despite this it didn't dampen anyone's spirits.

The Girls started the day at Len Forge. They were up against 5 other teams from across Southend. The first game started well with a solid and dominant performance against Edwards Hall. The game finished 0-0 with Team Hamstel not being able to make the most of the great performance. Unfortunately, this back luck was to continue through the next four games. The team were incredible in showing their skill, desire and determination but the balls just would not hit the back of the net. The post was hit a number of times and the goalkeepers seemed to be unbeatable. Despite the results not going our way the team never gave up, they supported each other and played with a smile on their faces. A special mention to Emelie, she was like a young Mary Earps, throwing herself around the goal and remaining unbeaten the whole time she was in goal.

After a great morning of football the attention turned to the Boys team. The best 8 KS1 teams from across Southend were there to compete for the overall trophy. Hamstel's first game was against Bournes Green, who had won their qualifying group, and it was a tough game. Team Hamstel played their normal solid game and gave away on chances but couldn't get the break through. The game finished 0-0 which was a great result to build on. Straight after was Fairways, a goal from super striker Daniel meant the game finished 1-1 and the team remain unbeaten. The third game was against our 'frienemies' at West Leigh. The game was tight and the team played some amazing football but unfortunately gave away a penalty which meant losing the game 1-0. This didn't stop Team Hamstel, they put the game behind them and went on to beat Our Lady of Lourdes 1-0 with another brilliant finish from Daniel. The team then played Chalkwell and after dominating the whole game somehow walked away with a 1-1 draw. The final game was against Earls Hall, not knowing how each team was doing, all Team Hamstel could do was focus on their performance and this showed with an incredible 3-0 win to finish the day. Two goals for Noah and one from Oliver saw the team across the line comfortably.

Now it was time for the results Team Hamstel finished third place and wit the rain pouring West Leigh and Bournes Green decided to share first place.


bottom of page